HOME MADE RYE BREAD
We have officially joined the cult of Bread Making and we are completely obsessed.
We are not professionals, we are simply passionate experimenters enjoying the art of bread making and hoping to inspire a daily ritual in your life.
We got the hang of this craft on loaf #4 and our only real advice is don't give up, research beyond this page, feel your way through different methods and enjoy the process as much as the outcome.
• Prep 15 mins
• Rest 8-10 hours - preferably overnight.
• Bake: 45- 60 mins
• 3 Metal or Glass Bowls
• 1 Sharp Kitchen knife
• 1 Wooden Spoon
• 1 Tea Spoon
• 1 Soup Spoon
• A 6-quart enameled cast-iron Dutch oven
• Baking Paper
• Kitchen Towel or Gauze
• One Loaf
1. First bowl add 500g flour
2. Add salt and mix.
3. Second bowl add 270g of water, add 3 spoons of starter and mix.
4.Once starter has dissolved into the water slowly add mixture into first bowl.
5. Mix all ingredients with wooden spoon.
6. Bond together to create dough.
7. Dough must feel soft, but not soggy.
8. Once you achieve right consistency, you can easily remove dough from bowl.
9. Create clean work surface for kneeding.
10. Kneed for 7 - 10mins.
11. Work through initial wet stage until dough starts to form a smooth soft skin.
12. Form dough into rounded shape.
13. Place in bowl, cover with dish towel.
14. Rest for 8-10 hours - we recommend overnight.
1.Remove dough from bowl.
2. Kneed for 3 mins to remove air.
3. Keep round shape in tact.
4. Make 1 cut on the top of the dough.
5. Place pot alone in oven for 30 mins.
6. Remove pot from oven, line with baking paper and lightly sprinkle flour.
7. Place dough inside pot and cover.
8. Place pot inside oven for 35 mins.
9. Bread should look cooked - but not golden.
10. Remove top of pot and cook for 10 mins with no top.
11. Bread will be perfectly crispy and golden.
12. Remove pot from oven and rest before serving.